1. Use the time of a total stranger in such a way that he or she will not feel the time was wasted.
2. Give the reader at least one character he or she can root for.
3. Every character should want something, even if it is only a glass of water.
4. Every sentence must do one of two things — reveal character or advance the action.
5. Start as close to the end as possible.
6. Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them—in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
7. Write to please just one person. If you open a window and make love to the world, so to speak, your story will get pneumonia.
8. Give your readers as much information as possible as soon as possible. To heck with suspense. Readers should have such complete understanding of what is going on, where and why, that they could finish the story themselves, should cockroaches eat the last few pages.
“. I was surprised to see her name as one of msn.com’s “top people A-list searches” today, then noticed that hers was linked with Prince. It seems the singer became enamored while watching the Tonys, met her and has purchased a number of WSS seats around his own so that nobody sits near him when he gazes upon Ms. Olivo.”—Prince is creepy.
“Married men and women, on average, have sex with their spouse 58 times a year, a little more than once a week, according to data collected from the General Social Survey, which has tracked the social behaviors of Americans since 1972. But there are wide variations in that number. Married people under 30 have sex about 111 times a year. And it’s estimated that about 15 percent of married couples have not had sex with their spouse in the last six months to one year”—Oy. Scary.
A lot of my friends are teachers or are in the process of transitioning to careers in education. It’s something I seriously consider about once every six weeks. Sadly,this article made me realize that if there was an idealized situation like this, I might very well be interested in doing it.